Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Linking to the Outer World



13º, windchill -4º, splotchy clouds

Arkansas is currently experiencing its coldest weather in 10+ years (like much of the rest of the South). Having abandoned my roots in the Midwest b/c of my thin-skinned inability to withstand the weather of winter, I'm not faring very well. To keep my mind off the numbing cold, I've found many links to share today. Here we go:

Stacey Lynn Brown and Oliver de la Paz, are pleased to announce a call for submissions for A Face to Meet the Faces: An Anthology of Contemporary Persona Poetry. The deadline is now Feb. 15.

Born on January 2, 2010, Corium is an online, quarterly magazine, featuring short and very short fiction and poetry. New issues will run in March, June, September and December. That’s who we are now. But Corium is a living project that will develop and change over time. The skin is the largest organ in the body; we will test its limits of expansion. It will not contract. We are excited to exist and intend to publish amazing work. Maybe yours. Send us something.


Poet Mom, January O'Neil, shares a great story about her son's perception of her/their fame, given her first book, Underlife, just came out. Also a great video of Naomi Shihab Nye.


Check out Dana Guthrie Martin's 2010 poetry reading challenge. I love this and will dovetail it with my goodreads 2010 poetry reading challenge.

Perhaps the last word on best-of-2009 poetry lists. Coldfront has a year in review that features an exhaustive list of bests. Best categories: best cover, best opening/closing lines, and best first/last poem in a collection.

As for me, dear readers, I must confess that I did not get my submissions done last weekend, so I'm going to tackle those today to clear the desk for the onslaught of students who populate my classes next week. I also need to submit the manuscript for some new contest deadlines and to publishers who read mss. in January.

Wherever you are, there's a good chance it's colder than it should be, so stay warm by any means possible.

2 comments:

Charlotte Pence said...

Thank you for all of those announcements. And I'm quite excited to see this anthology on persona poems coming out. I have been experimenting more with persona poems these past two years finding the first-person poems too limiting. And yeah, I'm with you on this cold. "If you ain't gonna give me enough snow to sled, go home," I say.

Sandy Longhorn said...

No sledding here...and true confessions, I didn't even enjoy that as much as others up North. Shiver!