Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Business Side



27º and direct sunlight

Today is the first day of class at PTC, so we're back in business. Rumor has it we are seeing close to a 20% increase in registration from Spring 2009. (Classes are packed!) In the fall we had a 13% increase over Fall 2008. As larger universities downsize in a down economy...community colleges are where it's at! Sure, my job is non-tenured, but with numbers like these, I'm feeling some security about my paycheck ... knock wood. And it's a full-time gig, which means benefits. I'm thankful for all of that!

Today, Poet Mom, January O'Neil has a post up about the business side of publishing. She poses two questions: one about taxes and one about estate planning. I've always wished for a book about the business side of being a writer of literary short stories and poetry. I know there is a lot of information for writers who freelance and/or publish in the mass markets, but most of that doesn't apply to the smaller scale of short stories and poetry. Does anyone know if there is such a resource?

No comments: