Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Four for the Fourth

84 deg ~ some sun, some hazy clouds, the whole world gone lazy with Sunday and a national holiday

I really meant to take today off from blogging, but then I came across three things that I felt I had to share.

First is a poem by Luke Johnson who blogs at Proof of Blog.  Luke's poem "The Heart, Like a Bocce Ball" is available on Rattle's blog today with audio.  Do yourself a favor and listen to this gorgeous reading.

~~~~~

Second, thanks to January O'Neil for posting this Czeslaw Milosz poem "Gift" on her blog Poet Mom.  I wasn't familiar with this poem, but it sums up EXACTLY how I feel on this 4th of July.

Gift

A day so happy.
Fog lifted early, I worked in the garden.
Hummingbirds were stopping over honeysuckle flowers.
There was no thing on earth I wanted to possess.
I knew no one worth envying him.
Whatever evil I had suffered, I forgot.
To think that once I was the same man did not embarrass me.
In my body I felt no pain.
When straightening up, I saw the blue sea and sails.

~Czeslaw Milosz

~~~~~

Third, if I haven't mention Matt Kish's blog, One Drawing for Every Page of Moby Dick, then I've been remiss.  Today's drawing for page 297, pictured here, is my absolute favorite so far.  Recently Kish found out that Tin House is going to publish the complete project.  I have tried to read Moby Dick three times in my life and have failed each time.  (My junior English teacher in high school told us she hated the book and wouldn't put us through the torture of reading it.  Beware teachers, the power your words might hold over a captive audience.) However, I plan to buy Kish's book as soon as it hits the stands.  If you just want to look at the drawings and not read the blog, go to Kish's website: Spudd64


~~~~~

Fourth, a confession, I am jealous of those who can sketch, draw, and paint.  I follow a blog called Urban Sketchers, and I think how wonderful it must be to be able to carry home a piece of art of your own making any time you venture out into the world.   Perhaps in the next lifetime, I'll have more talent there.

7 comments:

Ryan Amfahr Longhorn said...

As a fan of The Big Whale Book, thank you so much for the links to the drawings and to the blog. Excellent find.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

Moby Dick gets really good once you get past all the whale chapters. Great novel.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Ryan, glad you like the artist's work.

Q. It was Mrs. Waldon who blew it for me. Maybe I'll try to get past the whale chapters when this artist's book comes out.

stephanie said...

I have not read Moby Dick, but I am interested in seeing the drawings in Tin House. My husband can draw. I hope that's something he passes on to any offspring we may have. Drawing is neat.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Drawing is definitely neat, Stephanie. Thanks for stopping by!

Luke Johnson said...

Thanks for the shout out, Sandy!

Moby Dick drawings = very cool.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Hey y'all, for some reason, Blogger keeps blocking this comment from Luke Johnson (proofofblog.blogspot.com)

Thanks for the shout out, Sandy!

Moby Dick drawings = very cool.


Luke, it is a much deserved shout out! Sorry the comment moderation mucked up!