I wasn't sure how this morning would go. Yesterday, I tried to work with some of my summer poems and I just felt like they were all trash. I stopped trying to work with them after about an hour, afraid I'd do more harm than good with that mindset. I'm glad I did. Today, I started over. I picked up a poem I'd ripped out of a journal during our vacation last month. (Check out this post for an explanation.) I hadn't even made it to the second stanza when I felt a shift in my brain and I suddenly knew what I needed to do to two of my own poems to make them work. With that, I was off on a revision binge.
In part, I know I need to get into this revision mode with some real fervor. Yesterday, I noticed that I only have 2 submission left outstanding (both from March), and of those 2 submissions, only 2 poems are still available. Yikes! This is not to say that I'm a slave to the submission process, but having a few sets of poems out in the world reassures me that I'm on an even keel. This could be a mistake if I were to rush poems out there that weren't ready for an editor's eyes, and I confess, I've made that mistake in the past. However, as I've matured as a poet, I think I've gotten a better grip on holding poems back until they are more fully capable of standing on their own.
With all that being said, I did send out one submission this morning. That was a warm-up. I hope to spend this coming weekend hip-deep in journals and poems and submission guidelines.