Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Saving Daylight

57º ~ 75º highs in the forecast for today and tomorrow, then a cold front brings us back in line

I understand all of the arguments for daylight savings time and moving clocks back and forth.  What I know is that it was easier to wake up at the right time today because the sky was lightening again when the alarm went off, after weeks of darkness.  It does make me wonder how much exhaustion occurs from forcing the body to live outside of the sun's own time. 

It's that time of the semester (week 12 begins today) when we are all just putting one foot in front of the other, clinging to every holiday advertisement, not for the joy of gift-giving and mouth-stuffing, but because once the holidays hit, we know it will all be over.  We are at that point in the marathon when the body is all machine and the brain something we drag along behind us.

Yes, there are papers waiting to be graded.  Yes, I took the day off yesterday.  It was necessary.

On a bright note (hello daylight!), tomorrow night we cap off the Big Rock Reading Series for the semester.  Wahoooo!


2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Yay for a day off! Yay for the upcoming holiday rest! Yay for your reading series!

And, yes, it was so much better to drive my daughter to school this morning in the light instead of the dark.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Hey, Kathleen. Thanks for stopping by. I imagine a world where we all arrive where we are supposed to be at X minutes after sunrise. Yes, I realize this is an impossible dream...and still I dream. :)