Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

What Loss Looks Like

62º ~ beautiful fall weather abounds, a lack of rain, dry weather predicted throughout the fall & winter, squirrels are squirreling & the light is slantwise


Our Lou-Lou lost her fight with myelofibrosis on Friday.  And so, yes, Dear Reader, we are without a cat in the house for the first time in over seven years.  It's a quiet, empty feeling.  Most of you may remember that Libby died in June from hydrothropic cardiomyopathy.  Both of these deaths were unpreventable and proved just how little we can control in this world.  While Libby was fairly young at seven and a half when she died, Lou-Lou's death was even harder to bear as she had just turned three in July.  Her disease, where the immune system turns on the bone marrow and the red blood cells, usually strikes in cats between kittenhood and three years old.

Perhaps I share too much; however, in the telling of the details there is a way through the sorrow (for me).  I know that others prefer to grieve in silence. 

Many thanks to all who sent condolences on Facebook.  As I said with Libby, I am surprised at how much those small words "So sorry for your loss" help ease the grief. 

Finally, here's a picture of the desk to show what loss looks like for me.


There has been a lot of tossing things on the desk at random: receipts, journals, money, bills, clothing, half-hearted to-do lists, etc.  Yesterday was spent in lethargic repose; today I have a bit more energy to tackle some of this. 

Knowing that the poetry is out there waiting to be read, waiting to be written, is perhaps one of the most helpful things of all.

16 comments:

Jeannine said...

So sorry to hear this.

Karen J. Weyant said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. A house without a cat seems extra empty, I know.

Thinking of you.

Tawnysha Greene said...

This breaks my heart, Sandy. I am so sorry that you had to lose such dear friends. I hope that you find peace and comfort during this difficult time. I am thinking of you.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thank you all, kind friends.

Erin Lynn said...

I am so sorry, Sandy. You are definitely in my thoughts at this time.....

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks Erin!

Sara said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our cat had a health scare in the summer (all well now), but I feel for you, it's awful to even think of losing such a dear companion.

Molly said...

So sorry about your kitty. Take good care.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks, Sara and Molly.

Kristin Berkey-Abbott said...

I'm so sorry for your loss . . . no words suffice.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thank you, Kristin.

Joannie Stangeland said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and this new loneliness.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks so much Joannie.

Quintilian B. Nasty said...

I'm sorry for the loss, Sandy.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks, Q.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks, Q.