Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

The Only Poet who Doesn't Like Halloween

42º ~ near perfect weather predicted all week, highs around 70º, a little rain perhaps midweek, ahhhh autumn in Arkansas, what we wait for during the broiling months

This morning I have a little poetry news to report and then an explanation, of sorts, about my apathy for Halloween.

First, I spent my writing time this weekend polishing off the fellowship application I wrote about a week and a half ago.  Wow, time slips by so quickly.  I'm glad I started early.  The deadline for this opportunity is November 15th, but I try to practice what I preach with my students and avoid the procrastination blues.  I'm glad I did, since letting the draft sit for 10 days and then overnight after revisions on Friday, showed me two typos on Saturday morning, both missing words.  It really is true that when you read over something you've written, your brain fills in the blanks.  For me, I have to read out loud and sssslllllloooooooowwwwwwllllly to discover my errors.  My students can attest that I sometimes don't take this kind of time with assignment details!  So, on Saturday morning, I did the final touch-ups and then hit 'send.'  I LOVE being able to apply and submit online, saving me time for the real work of the writer, reading, writing, and revising.

Second, I have a new poem out today in Waccamaw, Dan Albergotti's fabulous journal.  You can read "Cautionary Tale of Girls and Birds of Prey" along with many other fine poems and some great fiction, essays, and interviews as well. Check it out!

And third, a brief explanation of why I don't like Halloween.  The costumes.  It's all about the costumes.  When you are a creative type, people expect great things from you on Halloween.  If you doubt me, just cruise through the blogosphere or over to Facebook and check out the pictures posted from Halloween parties that occurred this weekend.  The costumes are amazing and witty and intricate and unique.  I just don't have it in me.  I think this may also be linked to my avoidance of performing in any type of theater production.  My creativity just doesn't extend to 'becoming someone / something else' in the flesh and I always feel heaps of self-judgment when I try.  No, I'm more comfortable staying at home and dishing out the candy to the munchkins.  That's where you'll find me tonight. 

by Joe Lercio, via creativecommons.org
Boo!



5 comments:

Molly said...

Sandy, I am not even apathetic about Halloween -- I carry a genuine antipathy for it. Because of the costumes. Especially because of three small-ish size costumes. This year I am really trying hard by donning a witch's hat. I feel okay about being a mom/witch.

Congrats on the poem in Waccamaw. Happy Halloween.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Oh, Molly, I hadn't even considered the pressure on the moms out there! Yikes. Good job with the hat. :)

drew said...

This is a relief. I thought I was the only one who didn't like Halloween. Now we know, there's a whole network of poets-who-disdain the "holiday" -- or maybe just the three of us.

:)

Kathleen said...

I saw your poem in Waccamaw! Yay! For 3 days now, I've been wearing an orange shirt that says, "This IS My Costume." You know that shirt? Anyhoo, I promise I changed my underwear and socks in the past 3 days....

Sandy Longhorn said...

Hah, you all make me laugh. Thanks!