Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Miscellany

82º ~ a smothering air returns for the unofficial start of summer, highs will reach the low to mid nineties all week, clear skies, and just a touch of breeze to tempt us all

Only a brief note today.

First, here's a link to another great Roxane Gay post about the male-centric world of publishing:  The Well Read Man.  I can't believe we have to keep having this conversation, but we do.  Gay makes some great points.

Second, I've been remiss about announcing acceptances here lately, so here's a bit of joy-joy to share.  In the last month, I've had poems accepted by diode, South Dakota Review, and Cincinnati Review

To share a bit for beginning writers, diode is the odd duck in the mix in that I've had poems accepted there three times, which is every time I've submitted.  Something about my work really clicks with the editors, which is awesome, although I don't submit too often so as to not wear out my welcome.  Both Cincinnati and South Dakota are more true to form.  I first published poems with them in 2005 and 2004, respectively.  In the intervening years, I've been rejected four and two times, respectively.  This is much more the norm.  Some of my work clicks some of the time. 

Regardless, I give all praise and thanks to the first-readers and editors of all three publications. 

Finally, here's a photo of the robin's nest outside my writing window.  Should see baby birds in about 10 - 14 days.  Ooooooooh, the anticipation.

8 comments:

drew said...

Congratulations Sandy!

The whims and winds of poetry publishing is always a bit of a mystery to me. Thanks for offering a peek into your world.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks, Drew. Glad the comments help.

Kathleen said...

Yay on all counts, and, while it's raining here now, it is supposed to be 90 on Memorial Day.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks, Kathleen. Enjoy the rest of the day.

Susan Rich said...

Congratulations, Sandy! I just got my first rejection from CR. Thanks for reminding me that one has to play the game regularly and not let a few rejections be too discouraging. Congratulations on such wonderful acceptances. You've inspired me to send out a few more before we hit June 1st. Happy almost summer!

Sandy Longhorn said...

Sorry about the rejection, Susan, but I'm glad that you are going to keep playing!

Tawnysha Greene said...

Wow! Congrats on the acceptances!

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks, T. Was out of town with limited wireless, so forgive the delay. I do appreciate the support, as ever!