Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

My New Kangaroo



59º ~ lots of sun filtering through the leaves...have very limited view of the sky these days due to our beautiful old shade-making trees

This is just a quick post to show you all my first internet auction purchase: a kangaroo brooch. If you've met me in the flesh, you may know that I don't wear jewelry or makeup or the latest fashions. However, when I was circling the AWP book fair and telling folks about the book giveaway going on here at the Kangaroo blog, I decided I wanted a piece of "antique" jewelry of a kangaroo that I could wear to readings and AWP and other poetry places. I wanted something that was one-of-a-kind and on first searching the internets, I was dismayed by a sea of tourist pieces from Australia. I gave it a rest and tried again this week (this time searching for estate sale sites rather than just "kangaroo jewelry" and voila! While this is a brooch, the little space between the kangaroo's ears looks perfect for a chain, so I'll probably wear it as a long necklace. I guess I'm giving in a bit to the idea of "branding," but hopefully on my own terms.

Now, back to the real work at hand...drafting, drafting, drafting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sandy, don't think "brand"--think "spirit animal"! :o)

Sandy Longhorn said...

Marie, lovely!

Susan Rich said...

Hi Sandy,
Really lovely -- branding on your own terms -- which means (perhaps) spirit animal! I will look for it (you) in DC!

Sandy Longhorn said...

Thanks, Susan!

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

Lovely! And I'm into the animal totem stuff, so I had to look this up (I've NEVER had to look up "kangaroo totem" before!) ;-)

Here you go. It fits a writer perfectly! A very good spirit animal--

Kangaroo signals that a nine-month cycle is at play. After starting a project, it will take nine months to mature and benefit you.
After that, it is time to move forward and commit fully.

Kangaroo only moves forward, never backward and Kangaroo people should do the same.

Kangaroo also teaches how to balance the creative energies needed to complete your task.

Those with a Kangaroo totem are given the strength and power needed.

You will have the strength and stamina to continue,
just as long as you go forward and not backward.

Sandy Longhorn said...

Kelli, thanks for this! It's appropriate that it comes from you, too, because Emily Dickinson is the reason for the Kangaroo!
Moving forward with the power of the kangaroo.