Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Days of Grief and Chocolate


87º ~ a sky of pure sun, a slight breeze moving the sweltering leaves, several sightings of the fledgling robin still bouncing around our backyard, the empty nest a reminder

This is not how I imagined my summer.  Once again, life reminds me that I have no control over so many things.  While we mourn Libby, we continue to fight to save Lou-Lou.  While we recognize that our cats are not people, they are such an integral part of our daily lives that there is a huge emptiness when they aren't where they usually are, doing what they usually do.

I've been eating a lot of Russell Stover dark chocolates.  It helps for the length of time the sweet is on my tongue. 

~~~~~

I'm so late in this congratulations, but a big hooray for Kelli Russell Agodon, whose book, Letters from the Emily Dickinson Room won a Gold Prize in the Foreward Magazine Book of the Year Awards.  Here's my reader response to the book as well.

~~~~~

Many thanks to the editors of Redivider.  The new issue is out, and my poem "Pantoum for a Landlocked Girl" has the honor of batting lead-off on page 1.  I'm thrilled and send much gratitude to all who work on this wonderful journal.  You can read about the draft process for the poem here.

~~~~~

Finally, both C. and I are so grateful to all of our friends for sending support these past few days.  It really helps, and if we aren't quick to reply, please know that we appreciate each and every note.



3 comments:

Erin Lynn said...

Sending love your way!!!

Karen J. Weyant said...

I'm so sorry! Thinking of you.

Nancy Devine said...

"It helps for the length of time the sweet is on my tongue." is that a line that might go into a poem. it is lovely.
yes, cats aren't people. but for you, they are family.