Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Why We Do What We Do

conditions the same

If you are an educator, this video is for you.

I had the great honor of teaching Toby Daughtery in a creative writing class several years ago.  Two years ago, after he had graduated from PTC and gone on to the University of Arkansas Little Rock, our English Department asked him to appear as a keynote speaker at a regional conference we hosted.  Toby's speech blew everyone away.  Since that time, he has gone on to speak at many colleges, universities, and conferences in Arkansas.  However, this year, he was selected as the Keynote Speaker for the Achieving the Dream annual conference.  Achieving the Dream is a group that addresses issues in higher education and how to make things better. 

I hear tell that Toby has gotten more speaking engagements and I see some bright, bright moments in his future. He truly deserves them.

This is a copy of Toby's speech from the conference, "When All Roads End, Build a Helicopter." It's about 25 minutes long, but I think it is worth it (and not just because I helped teach Toby how to make all those awesome metaphors and similes!).

I dare you not to cry.

No comments: